A recent study by Assurant Health has revealed that consumers who previously went direct to the health insurance market are returning to agents. The study found that 60% of consumers, who once bought directly from the market, have gone back to agents for help. Consumers have determined that their costs do not change, and having an independent agent offers greater value.
Here are some of the advantages sited:
- Independent agents offer a great knowledge of the market and products.
- There is a single point of contact.
- Agency staff is much more qualified than those in the “marketplace” are.
- Consumers were able to gain a better understanding of their coverage.
- Consumers prefer to develop a relationship that involves trust.
- Dealing with people is less stressful and less of a hassle than trying to complete the process online or over voicemail.
- In addition, consumers who purchased through an agent were significantly more satisfied about how easy it was to understand their options and choose a plan that gave them the best coverage tailored to their needs, than those who purchased online.
- Overall, consumers seem to prefer having the guidance of an experienced agent available to them.