We often get questions about Medicare cards. Sometimes they get lost, you have a name change, or you may be getting ready to receive your first one. Here are some of the basics regarding Medicare cards.
New to Medicare?
You will receive your Medicare card in the mail 3 months prior to eligibility. The Medicare card will include your name, Medicare claim number, the type of coverage you have (Part A, Part B, or both), and the date your coverage starts.
Lost Your Card?
If you lose or damage your Medicare card, you can obtain a replacement card from Social Security one of the following ways. You can order a Medicare card by Phone or Online.
- Your last (exact) payment amount or the month and year you last received a payment if you have received benefits in the last 12 months.
- Your phone number in case we need to contact you about your request
- Your e-mail address (optional)
- Your Place of Birth
- Your name as it appears on your Social Security card
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Date of Birth
- Your Mother's Maiden Name (to help identify you)